Hyde Park Family Law Lawyer For Women

Woodford Sathappan McGee is the only law firm serving Hyde Park, Ohio to solely represent women. Our commitment to women allows us to meet your needs in a compassionate and comprehensive way.

Family law cases often bring unique challenges for women. For example, many women who are facing divorce feel anxious about what the future holds for them and their children. We understand, and we want to empower you to have the confidence to move forward.

Your legal representation should work for you, for us, that means minimizing stress and cost, and moving the process along quickly while giving it the care and dedication it deserves. That is why our family law attorneys are highly skilled in mediation. We will do what we can to settle matters outside of the courtroom, and where this is not possible we will be prepared to fight for you in Court.

From the negotiation table to the courtroom, we are here for you.

Contact Woodford Sathappan McGee today at 380-212-3731 and arrange a free consultation with a family law attorney who can provide the highest quality legal services.

Dealing With Family Law Issues in Ohio

A divorce lawyer can help you navigate the complex legal issues that arise during divorce proceedings. Things like asset division, child custody issues, and spousal support are all difficult to navigate.

At Woodford Sathappan McGee, an experienced lawyer can guide you through the legal process and ensure that you can move forward as a single woman with confidence. We want what’s in your best interests and for most people, this means moving their divorce along quickly in the most streamlined way possible.

That is why we prioritize negotiation and mediation. This allows you to come to agreements with your ex-spouse outside of the courtroom, saving you time and money, and protecting your children from long court proceedings.

We are also highly skilled in litigation, and if necessary, we will be prepared to fight for your interests in court.

Domestic Violence

We have helped many women who are seeking divorce because of domestic violence. If you have suffered any kind of abuse at the hands of your spouse then you need a family lawyer who understands.

We know how difficult it can be to reach out for help, but we will take action immediately, and help get you to somewhere safe. We will also apply for a court order to keep your spouse away from you.

If you are in immediate danger, call the Ohio Domestic Violence Network at 1-800-934-9840.

The Divorce Process in Hyde Park, Ohio

The divorce process can feel overwhelming, and while an uncontested divorce could take as little as four months, it is not uncommon for more complex divorces to take up to two years.

We will strive to keep moving the process along quickly so you can begin your new life!

Decide If You Can File For Divorce

You can file for divorce in Ohio if you have lived in the state for a minimum of 6 months. Additionally, if you are pregnant then although you can start the divorce process you will not be able to finalize it until after the baby is born.

Gathering Documents

When you file for divorce, you will need to submit the right documents to the court, within the set time frame. Firstly, one or both parties will file a Complaint for Divorce.

If one party files the Complaint, then the other will need to submit an Answer and Counterclaim within 28 days.

If all your paperwork is done correctly then it will streamline the process. Of course, your family law attorney will help you and ensure everything is in order and filed on time.

Temporary Orders

The divorce process can take some time to finalize, which means sometimes it is necessary to file for temporary orders, to give obligations to ex-spouses in the meantime.

For example, if you disagree on who should live in the family home, or how child custody is split up, then temporary orders could be necessary.

If you ask for temporary orders, then your spouse will need to respond within 14 days. If they fail to do so then you should be granted your request.

However, if your case involves particularly complex issues then there could be a hearing to determine what the temporary orders are.


You will need to attend a pre-trial hearing where you will provide grounds for the divorce, which could involve presenting evidence. You will also need to tell the judge what you and your ex agree on and what you don’t.

You will also need to bring information about your expenses, property, and income.

Usually, there will be some areas of contention, which will require further hearings. If you can come to some agreements through mediation with a family law attorney at Woodford Sathappan McGee, then you will need fewer hearings, thus minimizing costs, and speeding up the process.

Finalize the Divorce

If you agree on all terms, then the judge will assess your written agreement and either approve or deny it.

If there are disagreements, then the Judge will review the evidence and make decisions based on Ohio law. For example, they must make decisions without gender bias, split property in a just and fair way, and make decisions based on the best interests of children.

When the judge approves the divorce and signs the “Judgment Entry for Divorce”, then you will receive your divorce papers, and the separation will be official.

Divorce Considerations in Hyde Park, OH

A family law attorney at Woodford Sathappan McGee is here to guide you through all family law issues. When faced with divorce there are many important aspects involved which

Spousal Support/Alimony

Alimony means that you shouldn’t have to change your way of living after a separation. If your ex earns more then you may be able to claim spousal support, especially if you made sacrifices to care for children or a house.

Your family lawyers will also ensure that all assets are taken into account, including stocks and bonds, and offshore property.

Property Division

When you separate from your partner in Ohio, property is split into personal property and community marital property.

Personal property includes anything owned by each individual prior to marriage, anything protected by prenuptial agreements, or any inherited assets.

Marital property is anything attained by either party during the course of the marriage. Ohio is an equitable distribution state which means that community property is split in a ‘just and fair manner’. That doesn’t always mean a 50/50 split.

When dividing community marital property the court will consider the primary caregiver of children, each spouse’s needs, the length of the marriage, and how each spouse contributed.

Our family lawyers can help you come to agreements using mediation, so you can have autonomy over what assets you keep. If you cannot come to an agreement, then we can also use litigation to protect your interests.

Child Support

If you have children and they spend the majority of their time with you, then you should be able to claim child support from your ex-spouse. Both parents are legally required to financially contribute to their children.

Child Custody

In Ohio, traditional terms such as ‘sole custody’ or ‘joint custody’ have been replaced with the ‘Allocation of Parental Rights and Responsibilities’.

Parental rights include making decisions on behalf of children on things such as education and religion. Responsibilities cover parenting time, and where the child will live.

In Ohio, you must make decisions based on the best interests of the child in order for them to be accepted by the court. That means keeping both parents in the child’s life unless there is a reason not to do so and creating minimal disruption to the child’s life.

If you believe that your ex may be a danger to your child then you will need to evidence your claims. Even in these situations the Judge may award supervised visitation.

At Woodford Sathappan McGee, we have extensive experience in helping families with children and we always have children’s best interests at heart. We want you to feel confident in your life as a single mother, and we will help you come to an arrangement that works.

Family Law Matters Post-Divorce

At Woodford Sathappan McGee, we cover divorce and all related practice areas. We have the skills and experience to continue to support our clients with any issues that might arise post-divorce.

Divorce Modification

After a divorce, you will finally have everything in place to move forward with your lie. However, sometimes, things that worked at first no longer make sense. Perhaps you think you deserve more child support due to changing needs, or you need your ex-spouse to care for children on different days.

It is possible to apply for a ‘Motion for Modification’ with the court to have any aspect of your divorce order changed. However, it isn’t easy and you will need to evidence a substantial change in circumstances.

Contempt Proceedings

Another justification for a divorce modification is if your ex-spouse continually fails to comply with a divorce decree. You can file a contempt proceeding against them, where a judge can step in to ensure compliance.


How much does a divorce cost in Ohio?

In Hyde Park, the cost of divorce will depend on the number of contested issues you have and how much litigation your case requires. At Woodford Sathappan McGee we will keep costs down as much as possible with mediation. Contact us today and in your free consultation we will break down the costs.

It is also important to note that if your ex-spouse earns significantly more than you, then they could be ordered to reimburse your costs.

What do I do if my spouse does not want the divorce?

Your spouse can contest the divorce if they choose to, but if you can evidence proper grounds for divorce, you may continue.

Can I be represented by another woman?

At Woodford Sathappan McGee, we are proud of our highly skilled team and strong representation of female attorneys.

We understand that some women feel more comfortable speaking to another woman, and we are always happy to accommodate. Some of our attorneys have also been through divorce and life as single mothers, so they understand what you are going through.

Whoever represents you from our law office, will have the skills, experience, and resources necessary to help you, and they will have the backing of a strong team.

How long does it take to get a divorce?

While an uncontested divorce can be over in a few months, if you are waiting for a lot of court dates then it could drag on for up to two years. We will help move the process along quicker by using mediation.

Contact Woodford Sathappan McGee Today in Hyde Park, OH!

We are here to give you the guidance you need to streamline the divorce process and protect your future so that you can move forward with your life as a single woman in confidence.

No other Hyde Park law firm solely represents women and we believe that this gives us a clear advantage when supporting our clients.

Contact us today at 380-212-3731 to schedule a free consultation.

Practice Areas

Contact Us